TU Home > News > Three TU students awarded Gilman scholarships to study abroad

Three TU students awarded Gilman scholarships to study abroad

Three undergraduate students at Towson University have been awarded the prestigious Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship to study abroad this summer.

Sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, the highly competitive program awards up to $5,000 to each student to apply to study abroad program costs. The students are three of over 700 outstanding students from 270 colleges and universities across the U.S.

Patricia Parris of Reisterstown, Md., is an undergraduate junior majoring in Electronic Media & Film. This summer, she will be completing an independent study in Siem Reap, Cambodia, with Actuality Media, a company that works with college students to direct, produce and edit documentary films.

Charles Carrington of Edgewood, Md., is an undergraduate senior majoring in Religious Studies. He will be traveling to Amman, Jordan, with International Studies Abroad (ISA) to pursue an Arabic Language and Middle Eastern Studies program. Carrington will attend courses at Al-Ahliyya University to study Arabic and the Islamic faith.

Kimberley Noah, of Dundalk, Md., is an undergraduate senior majoring in Cultural Studies. This summer, she will be attending the Language, Culture and Society program in Meknes, Morocco, with ISA. During the five-week program at Université Moulay Ismail, Noah will study Arabic and Middle Eastern peace and conflict.

“Receiving the Gilman scholarship for my upcoming trip has allowed the dream of studying abroad to become a reality,” says Parris. “This summer I will be studying in Cambodia in order to produce a social change documentary about developing water treatment systems for villagers. It is my hope that my studies abroad will have a positive impact on the lives of the people of Cambodia.”

“Winning the Gilman scholarship allows me the opportunity to have a once-in-a-lifetime experience,” agrees Carrington. “As a religious studies major I learn about different religions and cultures. This scholarship allows me to travel abroad and be able to immerse myself in the culture of Jordan, predominantly Islamic country. I will be able to experience elements of Islam that I have learned while at Towson.”

More than 13,000 students nationwide have benefited from the Gilman International Scholarship Program since its establishment by the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000. The program is administered by the Institute of International Education.

, , ,