TU Home > News > Music education major wins pageant, named Miss Bel Air

Music education major wins pageant, named Miss Bel Air

Cynthia Ford crowned Miss Bel Air

Cynthia Ford crowned Miss Bel Air

Cynthia Ford, a Towson University junior, has been named Miss Bel Air Independence Day 2014 as part of the Miss Maryland and Miss America organizations.

The music education major credits her success to her time at Towson University.

“My experience at Towson has helped me prepare tremendously” she says. “I would not be able to perform my talent on flute if it were not for the amazing music faculty. My classes and presentations have helped me with my public speaking skills, and my involvement in the marching band has really helped hone my leadership skills.

“The music faculty have all been extremely supportive,” she continues. “My flute professor took a lot of time to help me pick the perfect talent piece, which I couldn’t have done myself. I consider the music faculty a very tight-knit community. They take the time to know us individually and I think that is reflective in our successes.”

Ford is currently preparing for the Miss Maryland pageant, to be held June 22-28 at the Maryland Theatre in Hagerstown. The competition consists of interviews, swimsuit and talent presentations, for which each contestant receives 90 seconds to perform.

“I will be playing the theme from Schindler’s List on flute as my talent,” says Ford. “It is a very recognizable theme and I think it has the potential to captivate emotions.”

One of the responsibilities for Miss Maryland and Miss America contestants is raising money for the Children’s Miracle Network (CMN), an organization that raises funds across the nation for local children’s hospitals. Since 1983, CMN has raised over $4 billion for children’s hospitals. The Miss America Organization, in just the past year, has raised more than $45 million toward this worthy cause and every contestant, regardless of whether they win or not, contributes to this effort, Ford said.

“I am required to raise money for the Children’s Miracle Network, which is an awesome aspect to the [competition],” says Ford. “All contestants who compete locally, at the state level or national level are required to raise money for CMN before they are eligible to compete. Although service should be embedded into what we do as titleholders, I think it is great that this is a requirement.”

The Miss America Organization also requires contestants to have their own platform. For Ford, that is Love The Skin You’re In: Skin Cancer Prevention.

“I am working to advocate for safer tanner methods and educate the community on how to take care of their skin when exposed to the sun,” she explains. “This is extremely important in our community today, because many people do not take the proper precautions in the sun, and this can be extremely detrimental to their skin. Melanoma is one of the most common cancers in young adults.”

An active student in the College of Fine Arts and Communication, Ford is first flute for the Symphonic Band and previously section leader and vice president of the Marching Band, and has performed with the Concert Band and Towson Flute Ensemble.

She hopes to teach music at the middle or high school level when she graduates and eventually pursue a master’s degree in education leadership and become an administrator.

, , ,