TU Home > News > Towson Chamber of Commerce recruits TU grad to design mobile app

Towson Chamber of Commerce recruits TU grad to design mobile app

Brooke Bianchetti thumbA TU mass communication and art + design alumna has designed a mobile app for the Towson Chamber of Commerce, according to a story in the Baltimore Sun.

Brooke Bianchetti ’14 says the app, which will highlight local businesses and events, will launch in the next few months. The chamber is working now to find a vendor to develop the app, which will be free to users and downloadable for smartphones and Android devices.

The app is modeled after an Ocean City version which provides users with information on arts and sports events, bars and nightlife, and more. The Towson version will also feature movies, restaurants, hotels, parking information, and activities at local colleges.

From the Sun:

Deb Moriarty, vice president of student affairs at Towson University, said that the university was considering developing its own app, in addition to its events website that lists speakers, concerts, arts and athletics activities. Now, it doesn’t have to.

“The idea is for the chamber app to link to our website,” she said. “It’s a way for Towson University to let a broad audience know what is happening on campus.”

Bianchetti was an intern at the chamber when they hired her to work full time as the assistant to the executive director in April, just weeks before she graduated from Towson’s College of Fine Arts and Communication.

From the Sun:

“I work very closely with Towson University and Goucher College,” said Nancy Hafford, the chamber’s executive director. “This is the first time we’ve hired a kid on a full-time basis.

“I went to TU, and they sent me some wonderful applicants. Brooke was among the top two,” said Hafford, who is in her ninth year as the chamber’s director.

Hafford said she was impressed by the 22-year-old’s maturity.

“She brought one of the most professional presentations of her work to us,” Hafford said.

That professional affection is mutual. “I love my job,” Bianchetti told the Sun. “I wanted to do something with graphic design (that’s my passion) and I get to do that a lot.

“We’re like a small company. There’s the three of us, and there are 80 events during the summer. There’s the Towson farmers markets on Thursdays; the concerts, called Feet on the Street, on Fridays; the monthly meetings. We’re pretty busy.”

Read more about Bianchetti in the full Baltimore Sun story.

, , , ,