After two days of conversations between university leaders and student leaders, Vice President for Student Affairs Deb Moriarty announced guidelines for tailgating at this weekend’s football game in Lot 14. Below is the campus-wide email sent this afternoon.
Student safety is a guiding principle in all Towson University matters. The issue of student safety during tailgating is no exception. This week, a number of meetings have taken place to seek input and suggestions from our student leaders regarding short-term solutions to the challenges presented on Lot 14 with student tailgating. There is agreement that the university currently has strong tailgating policies and procedures in place. The best way to address our shared concerns is to educate students on responsible tailgating and the tailgating policy, and to enforce current rules.
As we have worked closely with student leaders to create a safe and fun student tailgate experience, we focused on five key concepts:
- Safety first
- Know and follow the rules
- Watch out for your friends
- Enjoy the game
- Support our Towson Tigers
Here are the strategies that will be used this Saturday, Sept. 27, to promote and support a safe and enjoyable student tailgate experience.
1. All students wishing to park a car (cars only, no pickup trucks) on Lot 14 must obtain a parking permit in advance. In order to obtain a parking permit, students must attend a risk reduction workshop (bring your student ID). This is the only way students can park on Lot 14.
a. Workshops will be held today (Friday, Sept. 26) at 4 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. (University Union, rooms 314-316) and tomorrow, (Saturday, Sept. 27) at 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. (University Union, Loch Raven room). The workshops will last for no more than 30 minutes each.
b. Students walking up to Lot 14 pre-game do not need to attend a workshop, but must comply with the policies and procedures.
2. Students who receive a parking permit will be held accountable for the activities around their parking location. You can attend the workshop and secure a parking permit for a friend (if they are unable to attend one of the scheduled workshops).
3. Student cars can enter Lot 14 starting at 4 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 27. Out of concerns for pedestrian safety, game-day personnel will determine when parking is no longer available.
4. Additional parking will be available in the Glen and Union garages, with direct shuttle buses to the athletic complex.
5. Additional security and support (S.A.F.E. management) will assist the Towson University Police Department with lot management and policy enforcement.
6. In addition to the tailgating policy, the following rules are in place for the student section of Lot 14:
a. Pickup trucks are not allowed.
b. Open containers may not be brought onto the lot (or into the game). Bottled water will be provided for free at the front of Lot 14.
c. No more than a six-pack per person 21 years old or older (current policy). Students must carry their own beverages. We reserve the right to check backpacks and cars for policy compliance.
d. You must have a valid ID that confirms your age.
e. Dogs/pets (except service dogs) are not permitted.
f. The lot will be closed at the start of the game so that we can honor the true spirit of tailgating: cheering our Towson Tigers on to a WIN!!!
Thank you to everyone who has been involved in these discussions. We look forward to a safe and fun tailgate for our students on Lot 14 on Saturday and a victory for our team!