TU Home > News > Acclaimed opera performer shares her talent with students

Acclaimed opera performer shares her talent with students

Corinne Winters ’05 is starring in her third production of “La bohème.” But there is something extra special about this one–it’s close to home.

The acclaimed soprano, a Frederick, Md. native, is playing the role of Mimì in the Washington National Opera’s production of the tale of love set in 1919 Bohemian Paris. The show began running at the Kennedy Center Nov. 1 with performances through Nov. 15.

Opera performer Corinne Winters '05 teaches a master class for TU students.

Opera performer Corinne Winters ’05 teaches a master class for TU students.

“For my family and me, [the Kennedy Center] is like the Met,” Winters says. “It’s been really cool to be back home.”

Monday, Winters returned to her second home–Towson University. She received her Bachelor of Science in music at Towson before attending the Peabody Conservatory for vocal performance and then training at the Academy of Vocal Arts in Philadelphia.

Now, with three years as a professional opera singer, she wanted to share her experience with Towson students.

“It’s important to have a mentor that’s far enough in the business to be able to mentor undergraduates, but also young enough that my business experience is still relevant to them,” Winters says.

She held a master class to work with music students on voice and voice production before accepting questions from the undergraduates about anything pertaining to the business.

“It is all about hard work and talent and perseverance,” Winters explains.

She says she wanted Towson students to learn that with those values, there is more than just one way to build a career.

“A lot of music students think that they have to go to Juilliard or Curtis or one of these conservatory programs,” Winters says. “But I am glad I went to Towson to get a rounded education before I really focused in on music.”

Corinne Winters with TU students after her master class

Since graduating, Winters has performed at venues across the world, including the Metropolitan Opera and the English National Opera.  She also recorded her first CD this year, titled “Songs from Spain,” which comes out Nov. 17.

Winters previously performed in “La bohème” at the Arizona Opera early this year and at the Kentucky Opera last fall.

Of her current role in “La bohème,” Winters says everyone should come see the show.

“The story and the music are timeless,” she says. “I think for people who do not know a lot about opera or are first-time opera-goers, this production of ‘La bohème’ is a perfect first opera.”

Some tickets remain for this weekend’s performance of  “La bohème” at the Kennedy Center: http://www.kennedy-center.org/events/?event=OPOSA

, , ,