TU Home > News > Ravens' Justin Tucker helps students get a leg up on job search

Ravens’ Justin Tucker helps students get a leg up on job search

Ravens kicker Justin Tucker with fans in the Union before he spoke to students

The line of students waiting to meet Ravens kicker Justin Tucker stretched from one side of the University Union’s Chesapeake Rooms to the other. At the head, the 25-year-old NFL star signed whatever they brought him, shook hands, took pictures, and chatted a bit. Any wanderer who came upon the scene Thursday evening would have thought it was all about a pro football player and his fans… until they saw how many of the students were dressed in suits.

This was Kickstart Your Career: A Night with Justin Tucker. Towson’s Career Center and University Recruiters planned the evening as a way for students to get motivated and network for jobs.

“I don’t have what most people would consider a traditional career,” Tucker acknowledged as he got ready to greet students and speak to the group. “But my path getting there is just like anyone graduating college: You’ve got to focus on the task at hand. You’ve got to be persistent.”

About 60 professionals from several area businesses came ready to talk to students who were hoping to drop off résumés and pick up tips on how to land that first job out of college. Although the event was geared toward graduating seniors, any student could attend.

“I’m here to learn more about them, to see what they’re offering and how I fit into that,” said Edward Chestnut ’17, an international studies major who wants to work in the intelligence and information technology field. “Hopefully it will lead to a connection with them down the road.”

Starting early is important in the hunt for that first job, if only for the experience of searching. Tucker said he’s not much older than the students at the event and thought it was helpful when he got guidance, so he’s glad to provide whatever he can for current students.

“Every time I went out onto the field in college, it was like a job interview for me,” he explained. “A lot of my friends were exploring internships as juniors or seniors in college. That was sort of how I viewed it: ‘My career path starts now. It doesn’t start when I’m done with college. It starts while I’m still in college.’”

But one of the biggest challenges for a soon-to-be college graduate is that empty résumé. With employers looking at those first, it’s much more difficult to get a foot in the door. That’s why University Recruiters CEO Jeff Martin created his business: to put college students face-to-face with the people doing the hiring, so the students can make a real-life impression.

“I wanted people to come here tonight and not be judged on a piece of paper but be able to tell their story,” he said. “I think that, if college kids were able to get into some of these interviews, more would be hired, but they’re judged by a blank piece of paper.”

While not every student brought a résumé, most did have a goal in mind. Seema Raja ’15 just got accepted to pharmacy school for the fall.

“I know there’s a big business side associated with that,” she said, “So getting information from these businesses will be beneficial for me.”

Catherine Engelbach ’15 was wearing a Ravens jersey instead of business attire, but she hadn’t lost sight of what she could get out of the evening besides a moment with Tucker.

“[I’m here] to get any tips from recruiters possible for applying for jobs and going through the interview process,” she said.

Engelbach and Raja have both turned to the Career Center for help at some point, whether to work on their résumés or find a little more direction. The center focuses on four main purposes: when helping students: find a good path in majors and career interests, develop a professional brand, connect with employers for internships and jobs, and navigate the grad school application process.

“Networking is the number one way to get a job, so the more opportunities students have to interact with employers, especially those that are interested in hiring them, the better,” said Career Center Director Lorie Logan-Bennett.

Tucker added it’s important to keep your options open, get involved in a range of interests, and look for opportunities.

“Just by trying, you might find out you really like something,” he advised. “And then, once you really do find your calling, going after it and trying to become the best version of you possible within that craft is a great way to set yourself up for success down the line.”

That line can be longer than a student’s time in college; the Career Center also works with alumni to provide career counseling, a job search database and other resources.

Related links:
Justin Tucker’s pregame pep talk

, , , ,