From the dreaded “Freshman 15” and unhealthy eating habits, to all-night study sessions and occasional cases of homesickness, it can be hard to stay healthy at college.
The event will feature free food, giveaways and activities to help promote a better campus lifestyle.
It will run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Potomac Lounge in the University Union.
“We are really excited that the Health Center is able to sponsor the Wellness TU Healthfest,” said Matt Goldstein, director of health services at Towson University. “This event truly showcases our commitment to the health and well-being of the students at Towson University. This event not only highlights the health and wellness resources available to students on campus, but also within the greater Towson community.”
The event will feature different activities that will provide students a glimpse at the healthy opportunities on campus. Highlights include:
- A healthy snack from Order Up at Towson or Chartwells, who will be passing out different food options
- Guided meditation and progressive relaxation sessions led by the Counseling Center
- The Health Center will offer free massages and acupuncture sessions from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Free Zumba classes on the patio sponsored by Campus Recreation
- The Baltimore County Health Department will provide free HIV testing
- Free blood pressure screening, a skin damage analysis or a free fitness assessment
- A flu shot, which will be $20 and can be charged to the student’s bursar account
- Over 40 different interactive stations and tables.
Along with the different events, there will be several giveaways, including a Fitbit, a wellness basket, a gift basket from the UStore, a “Snack Survival Kit” from Trader Joe’s, a personal training session from Campus Rec and a free half-hour massage from the Health Center.
To be eligible to win, students will receive a “passport” with the eight dimensions of wellness when they enter the fair. As students engage in the fair activities, they will earn stickers from the various tables representing the dimensions.
Students then can turn in their completed passports to be entered into the FitBit drawing. Students who turn in the completed passport will also earn an additional two tickets to enter their choice of raffle (personal trainer, massage, UStore, etc.)
Register for the event at towson.edu/wellnessTU, though registration is not required for attendance. Students who do register will be given a second entry into the FitBit giveaway.