TU Home > News > CHP's McMahon "honored and thankful" by prestigious recognition

CHP’s McMahon “honored and thankful” by prestigious recognition

Janet Tompkins McMahon head shotTowson University-Hagerstown’s Janet McMahon, MSN, RN, is one of 22 nurse educators selected for induction into the prestigious Academy of Nursing Education, the National League for Nursing (NLN) announced.

“I am very honored to be selected by the National League for Nursing as a ‘fellow’ for the Academy of Nursing Education,” said McMahon. “For me, this is something I have always wanted to reach for after teaching nearly twenty-five years as a nurse educator. I truly love being a nurse educator and working with students and colleagues.

“My goal has always been to make nursing education the best it can be,” she added. “If it wouldn’t have been for my parents (watching from above) and my husband Matt’s encouragement over the last 25 years, I don’t believe this would have been possible. I feel very blessed and thankful.”

The NLN fellows come from nursing programs across the academic spectrum and from other organizations committed to advancing the quality of health care. The induction ceremony will take place at the NLN Banquet on Friday evening, October 2, during the 2015 Education Summit in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Applicants to the academy must demonstrate contributions to innovative teaching and/or learning strategies; nursing education research; faculty development activities; academic leadership; promotion of public policy that advances nursing education; and/or collaborative educational, practice, or community partnerships.

The NLN established the Academy of Nursing Education in 2007 to foster excellence in nursing education by recognizing and capitalizing on the wisdom of outstanding nurse educators.

, ,