TU Home > News > Involvement Fair opens students to new opportunities

Involvement Fair opens students to new opportunities

More than 150 student organizations, campus departments and nonprofits participated in the Fall Involvement Fair

It was a busy 24 hours at the new SECU Arena.

Tuesday evening, the Tiger volleyball team christened the facility, competing in the first TU athletics contest in the arena, defeating Coppin State. Wednesday morning, President Maravene Loeschke and SECU president and CEO Rod Staatz cut the ribbon on the arena before a crowd of Towson supporters.

Immediately after the scissors snipped shut, students began pouring into the arena for the Fall Involvement Fair. More than 150 student groups, university departments and nonprofit organizations set up tables around the concourse and alongside the court.

Estimates put student attendance at more than 3,000.

“We strive to have something, some group or opportunity, for every student on campus,” said Chris Rindosh, coordinator for student organizations. “And as we always tell our students, if you don’t see something that interests you, get your friends together and we’ll help you start your own student organization.”

Students began arriving prior to the noon start time and continued to fill the arena past the end of the fair at 2 p.m. The majority of the students were freshmen or transfers looking for groups to join, but the fair was open to all students looking for a new opportunity.

“I’m a fifth-year senior and I’m still looking for something else,” said Kennard Wallace. “I’ve been in student government and attended cultural events every year I’m here, but there is always something new I can learn or some skill or information I can acquire.”

Towson University seeks to prepare well-rounded students who learn in and out of the classroom. The skills and knowledge students gain from professors are only parts of a complete Towson education. The university encourages and provides support for students seeking internships and work experience that build on the academic experience. Student involvement helps complete the picture, equipping students with leadership skills they may not learn elsewhere.

“Getting involved changes your college experience in so many ways,” said Seth Goldstein, president of the Queer Student Union. “I’ve had so many great experiences and formed so many great relationships with my peers. It’s helped me grow as a person.

“[Students should] get involved with what makes you feel the best—whatever lights them up the most.”

, , ,