TU Home > News > Communications grad helps others find the luck of the draw

Communications grad helps others find the luck of the draw

Jina Myers, a 2004 alum, is a member of the New York Lottery Draw team and aspiring actress.

Myers is a member of the New York Lottery Draw team and aspiring actress.

When Jina Myers ’04 applied for a position on the New York Lottery Draw Team, she had no idea how quickly her life would change.

Myers won a talent search, after her mother heard an announcement on the Regis & Kelly Show that the New York Lottery was looking for talent to announce the lottery numbers on TV. The nationwide search drew more than 1,000 applicants. Myers was selected and called in for two auditions.

“I had to read numbers and scripts,” says the aspiring actress and TV host. “They were looking for people who showed personality, who could smile and talk at the same time, as well as annunciating numbers.”

Myers, who was then living in Washington, D.C., and working as the promotional coordinator for WBIG 100.3, had three days to pack and move to New York. That was six years ago.

“It’s been great,” says Myers. “I do special events such as hosting box suites at Madison Square Garden for the Knicks and Rangers games, Jackpot parties for million dollar-plus winners and other cool VIP events.”

The lottery position has also opened other doors, like working as an extra in the BBC channel’s Taking New York, National Geographic Channel’s David Rees Going Deep – How to Flip a Coin and auditioning for a part in Ted 2 starring Mark Wahlberg.

A mass communications major with a concentration in advertising, Myers credits graduating from Towson University as one of her biggest achievements.

“I loved being at Towson University, my professors — but especially my experience in the Phi Mu Sorority,” she says. “I learned about media and broadcast TV at Towson and my experience in Phi Mu taught me about philanthropy.”

Myers now lives in Albany, N.Y. When not pursuing an acting career, she is a substitute teacher for children with special needs and works with rescue horses.

, ,