TU Home > News > TU's Victor one of the nation's best, on the football field and off

TU’s Victor one of the nation’s best, on the football field and off

Darius VictorTowson University junior running back Darius Victor has been named to the preseason watch list for the STATS FCS Offensive Player of the Year, formerly known as the Walter Payton Award. It is the Football Championship Series (FCS) equivalent to the Heisman Trophy.

Victor, who was tabbed a preseason All-American less than a week ago, is one of 22 players named to the preseason watch list.

“It’s a honor to be viewed as one of the best in the country and I truly appreciate the recognition,” Victor said. “I couldn’t do it without God, because talent is God-given, and without the help of my teammates and coaches. I plan to do all that I can to not let anyone down. I know it’s not going to be easy but I’m up for the challenge.”

Victor, a 2014 First Team All-Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) selection, led the CAA and ranked 15th in the FCS with 1,305 rushing yards a year ago. It marked the most rushing yards for a sophomore in Towson football history. He also rushed for 12 touchdowns, which tied for the most in the CAA, and led the league with eight 100-yard rushing games. Victor ranked second in the CAA and 18th in the FCS by averaging 108.8 rushing yards per game and he ended his sophomore season ranking eighth all-time at Towson with 1,934 career rushing yards.

He was also appointed as a student-athlete representative to the NCAA Division I Football Oversight Committee, the NCAA announced on July 8. The Football Oversight Committee will ensure that appropriate oversight of football for both the Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision is maintained, and will promote student-athletes’ personal growth and leadership development.

Fans can catch Victor in action during the 2015 season, which kicks off at East Carolina on Sept. 5 at 6 p.m. The Tigers’ home opener will be held Saturday, Sept. 12 against St. Francis (Pa.) at 6 p.m. Homecoming 2015 is set for Saturday, Oct. 24 against perennial CAA rival Villanova at 7 p.m. Check out the full schedule and buy your tickets now!

Information courtesy of TowsonTigers.com

, , , ,